CM103: “Annual Performance Reviews Suck”
Does anyone think annual performance reviews are effective? Seriously? Well, some HR managers, maybe. But not very many. Big companies are bailing left and right on annual performance reviews. Everyone from leadership experts to business professors to CEOs have pointed out the many issues and problems associated with this out-dated practice.
Is there any value in the annual performance review? Is this a Boomer vs. Millennial misunderstanding?
“Performance appraisals are very expensive, complex systems for making people unhappy.”
Kevin Murphy, Colorado State University
- “Reinventing Performance Management” by Marcus Buckingham & Ashley Goodall (HBR, April 2015)
- “Why the Annual Performance Review is Going Extinct” by Kris Duggan (Fast Company, October 2015)
- “Is the Annal Performance Review Dead?” by Dana Wilkie (SHRM, August 2015)
- “Why Employee Performance Reviews Are So Old School” by Millie Dent (The Fiscal Times, July 2015)
- “Why More and More Companies Are Ditching Performance Ratings” by David Rock & Beth Jones (HBR, September 2015)