CM147: “Are Millennials Good for Business?”
If you’re a Boomer, you’re rolling your eyes….but, since Millennials make up the largest segment of the workplace these days, it’s a legitimate question. Although we hear a lot these days about Millennial “snowflakes” and their participation trophies, what does the research say about the impact Millennials have on the workplace?
Yes, as painful as it may be for the BOSS, it’s time to get some real data-driven insight into the impact of Millennials on the modern workplace.
As it turns out, what Millennials want at work isn’t so different from what other generations have wanted, but what they bring to the workplace IS quite different, in many ways. So, are they good for business?
Oh, and let’s not forget that the youngest Millennials are in their mid-20s and the oldest among them are pushing 40. That means they aren’t the new kids on the block anymore. There are now Millennial managers, and the mistakes that they are making as leaders aren’t that different from their older counterparts. Luckily, there’s research on that, too.
Join Kelly and Robby as they examine the latest research on the impact of Millennials in the workplace and try not to get sidetracked by a few good rants along the way.
- What the research says about Millennials in the workplace (2:15)
- The impact of Millennials in management roles (6:45)
- How Millennials are making the same mistake as leaders that previous generations made (10:15)
- Why Boomers are so polarized in their reactions to Millennials (12:30)
- What Gallup found about the impact of Millennials in leadership (17:15)
- A small rant on people who won’t address their weaknesses (20:45)
- How seeking purpose at work impacts performance and team cohesion (24:00)
- How to meet Millennials’ desire for a focus on personal development (26:00)
- Why it is important to create community in the workplace (28:00)
- Another small rant on developing leaders (29:45)
- “What Millennials Want is Good For Your Business” (Gallup)
- “Are Millennial Managers Hurting Your Company?” (Inc)
- “Why Millennials Are Good For Employee Well-Being” (Forbes)
- “3 Reasons Why Millennials Are Good For Your Business” (TalkRoute)
- “Annual Performance Reviews Suck” (CounterMentors)